Another proponent of continued marketing spending, downturn or not
Spend on marketing, capital investment and innovation or risk losing your business within the next five years. That tough talk came from Del Monte Foods Co. Senior VP-CMO Bill Pearce at the Argyle Executive Forum’s CMO Leadership Forum.
This is the opening sentence of an Advertising Age article on June 2, 2009. Although Mr Pearce approaches the issue from a consumer marketer’s standpoint, it includes valuable lessons for us in the business-to-business market.
Mr Pearce’s tips:
1. Don’t scale back spending
2. Reassess your market
3. Identify your best markets
4. Do some homework
5. Value messaging isn’t always about the lowest price
6. Keep management in the loop
7. Invest in the future
8. Turn the crisis into opportunity
Read the full article in Advertising Age.